Tangled Yarns

Tangled Yarns

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Adventures in Science


I've been waiting to go to the Museum of Science and Industry for months. It's a fun place to go at any time, but over the summer I got wind of a Jim Henson exhibit coming to town. (Excuse the child-like skip in my step. I love all things Muppets.) I have spent the last few months talking this exhibit up to friends and family, regardless of where they live. (Seriously, come to Chicago. We have the Muppets,for pete's sake!) My husband has been mocking me for weeks. Because we were not going to the Museum to have a fun day, we were going to see the Muppets. It's the only important thing, really. Unfortunately, the above photo is the only one I was allowed to take. No photography inside the actual exhibit. *sigh* But it is a fantastic exhibit, and I will be going back before it leaves in January. Probably without my Philistine husband, who shook his head as I sang the theme song to Fraggle Rock, and my unappreciative children, who looked at me like I was crazy as I oohed and aahed over the props from Dark Crystal. The Philistine was kind enough to take the children as I marveled over sketches and read through the handwritten notes. And then it was off to new sights.
The lobby of the main floor




Our next adventure was in the Science of Storms exhibit.Two stories of high tech wonder that lets children of all ages explore how some of the more intimidating natural events work. Avalanches, tornados, tsunamis, lightening, fires...this place lets you play with them all and more. It was a struggle sometimes to reign in my own inner voice that was screaming, "But it's my turn to try!" Which was, of course, the theme of my children's conversations for the day. It's hard to find that annoying when they are arguing over which hypothesis to test first, and actually using that term correctly. *Proud Mama Moment*


Tornado Alley


We really spent a lot of time in that exhibit. Prisms, rainbows, wavelengths, and water experiments are endlessly entertaining. Yes, I am that big of a dork. I love this stuff. Science discerns the Laws of Nature, but takes none of the wonder away. It is as amazing to see a tornado in miniature through experiments as it is to experience it in real life. Less fearful, but still amazing.





Finally, a pic where they weren't trying to 'shoot' one another with the balls.



We also got to visit the Smart Home, another exhibit that you can't take pics in. Not as exciting as the interactive exhibits, but very interesting all the same. There are some great strides being made in ecofriendly living, if only they could find a way to merge them with existing homes. There's just no easy way for our 1950's cookie cutter house to take advantage of some of the technology used in that house. Some of the other fun things to see, but a pain in the ass to photograph are the Fairy Castle - a gorgeous miniature with painstaking detail and a lovely story. Yesterday's Main Street gives you a short walk to a simpler time. And it has the added benefit of an old fashioned ice cream parlor. There is so much to see it's impossible to enjoy it all in one day. If we hadn't all been so exhausted, ok, if I hadn't been so exhausted, we would have hopped on the train again the next day to finish exploring it all. As it stands, we've promised the kids to go next weekend to see the Baby Chicks in the genetics exhibit. And to learn how to make a whisper travel through a room, and how to make toys, and...yeah, you get the picture.

I had fun going to see the Muppets. Next time, I'm going to see the Museum. The thought of it puts a child-like skip in my step.

7 comments:

  1. I wish I could have been there, even for the Muppets. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun, and I would have loved to have had you along. The storm exhibit was AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so cool! Fraggle Rock was my absolute favorite as a child, and Dark Crystal as well. I might have to make the drive up to Chicago for this before it leaves. Thanks for inviting me to view your blog in the first place, and well...now I've added something to my 'to do' list..hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know if you come up! I have a membership, and can bring a guest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks pretty amazing Jax. Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had muppetses. We love muppetses. LOL

    Seriously, pleased you had a great time. I caught Cake Boss when he did a Sesame Street one. He loved Cookie Monster and made a huge cookie just for him.

    The guys in his shop ribbed him saying that Cookie wasn't real. He said "Yes he is." Which pretty much drew a line under the whole thing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a really cool looking place. I'd love to go there! Nice pics and it really looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete