Tangled Yarns

Tangled Yarns

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Contemplation

Sitting alone in my kitchen, listening to the rhythms of the house. The whir of the refrigerator. The hum of the laptop. Dryer rumbling in the room next door, its bass notes out of time with the high pitched squeak of the washer.  There is a whoosh as the heater kicks in. It makes me realize that I’m cold.
I should be writing.
I should be reading.
I should be cleaning.
I am just sitting. Taking it all in. Or ignoring it all. Depends on how you look at it. It doesn’t really matter.
The shadows are lengthening outside. The glare of early afternoon is giving way to the dull glow of early evening. There is no revelation during this trance, this melancholy meditation. No sense of peace or enlightenment. Only a hollow resignation.

14 comments:

  1. I have too...and your honesty helps me know I'm in good company. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine any of us in the #fridayflash group wouldn't relate to this. Very well said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reads of depression. Very powerful story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your descriptions actually made me feel all warm and homey. Didn't make me feel like I should rush and write. Actually feel like a nap, maybe tucked in with some of that yarn on your masthead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was beautiful if kind of depressing. Must write more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great descriptions and use of language. Nice, oh and come get your deathmatch banner. It'll look good

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes you have to take a little time out to do nothing and just let the day pass you by, and ignoring what you 'should' be doing. Excellent meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is frigteningly accurate! Been there, have the t-shirt. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Capture of a moment I know all too well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something we can all relate to only too well, though I'm usually curled up on the couch. As someone with chronic illnesses, I particularly feel guilty not doing something productive on those days when I'm not in pain (such as today).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well said. Sometimes you need those moments to just exist. Life can pass us all by too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds familiar...time passing, not aware of anything except the sounds around you. We all have moments like this. Well described Jax. Perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My whole life is like this, I swear! Nicely written.

    ReplyDelete