Tangled Yarns

Tangled Yarns

Monday, September 6, 2010

Who told them they could grow up?

So, Abby's ready for earrings, and John...well John has discovered girls. Not that he didn't know they were there before. He came home with his first set of digits (phone numbers, people, not fingers!) when he was five. From a girl 2 years older than him. But I'm fairly certain he didn't ask for them. Something about big blue eyes with the kind of lashes that most women pay good money for seem to garner him attention. Not that he notices. Noticed. Now things have changed.

I'm jealous of those lashes!
So this week, I had a moment of panic, when he was 30 minutes late getting home from school. This is the first year he's gone to a school close enough for him to walk home. And he's old enough to want to walk without his mother. *gently dabs the tears away*  I get in the car, drive as far as the corner of our street, and there he is. Skipping. Grinning. Blushing bright red. I am relieved. Happy to see him. Mad that he is so frakkin' happy when he is in so much trouble.

After thoroughly startling the grin off his face, and telling him he needs to come straight home, I asked him just what kept him so long. And the grin sneaks back. He walked a girl home. One he's known since kindergarten, and who's had a crush on him for about as long. She lives closer to the school than we do, and in the opposite direction. But her mother didn't come to walk her home. Somehow that was brought to John's attention, and he just couldn't let her go by herself. Walking her home was the gentlemanly thing to do. And they aren't in the same class, or have the same recess...they miss each other. *facepalm* I am not ready for this.

Now it's not like I haven't had clues. He pretends to not watch anything that has to do with kissing. In a protest too much kind of way. And at fireworks this summer, he was pretending the explosions were alien missiles, along with a few kids near us. When I told them to settle down and watch the show, he inched next to one of the girls. A moment later came the most startling thing I could have heard. "Y'know, if the aliens are coming, we should be prepared for the worst. Or at least hold hands."
O_o
Excuse me?
I don't know what's worse. Hearing that from my 9 year old, or the fact that it WORKED! Someone needs to talk to that girl. I have to deal with Cassanova. I prefer the days of unasked for phone numbers.

9 comments:

  1. That is hilarious! They start to freakin young! You are definitely going to have to keep your eye on that boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy gods, they grow up so fast! I wish I had some sage advice for you but I'm blank. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. The grow up far too fast. And, soon, he'll be old enough to know exactly how to use those baby blues and a grin, and everything else.

    I feel for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eesh, Michelle, that is not helpful!! :P

    Our talk about letting me know if he's going to walk her home,and how on certain days, it's just NOT in the schedule, got interpreted as "I can walk her home everyday except Wednesday and Thursday."
    Doh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! reminds me of my 13 year old son. For some reason the girls are flocking to him this year. *Rolls eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Errrmmm, at least it shows imagination, inventiveness and above all else an understanding of the fairer sex. Let her mother worry about it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look out, Jax. It sounds like you have a junior mac daddy on your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jax- me again. Just read this and laughed because I had similar experience when my son was five. I wrote about it here: http://outofthewastebasket.wordpress.com/2009/08/20/kindergarten-crush/

    Loved your son's alien comment. Isn't being a mom so much fun?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's an adventure, everyday. :D

    ReplyDelete