Tangled Yarns

Tangled Yarns

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Hope

Eyes closed, I feel the world blurring around me. The wind cools and caresses my skin. Gravity has no meaning. I soar; I fly, I escape the world below. I open my eyes and savor the sight of the sky rushing to meet me, and the transitory sorrow when it recedes.

The smell of fresh cut grass, leaves wet from last night’s rain, even the tang of weather roughened metal chains take me into a timeless moment. One that never changes, regardless of my age. I lean back, legs and arms stretched to help my body slice through the air, striving to get higher, go faster.

I believe I can launch myself into the clouds if only I gather enough speed. I pull my limbs in, protecting myself from the disappointment of sliding back toward the earth, only to fling them out again. Hope springs eternal. Maybe this time I can reach the heavens, dance with angels and lost loved ones among the gloriously lit swirls floating across the skies.

I retreat from my goal one last time, determined to reach my destination. The swing hits its pinnacle and I let go. My body soars upward and stops. For a split second I hang there. My arms windmill, hands reaching for something to pull myself closer to the clouds.

The fall is heartbreaking. Frightening. Exhilarating. I land in a crouch, softening the impact. My hands dig into the damp dirt, releasing its earthy scent, the spongy feel of it brings me back to the present. The chain creaks as the empty swing twists. I close my eyes and I can feel the world slowing around me.

14 comments:

  1. Excellent job, Laura! I could feel every moment with you. You did a great job of pulling the reader in and capturing the sounds, feelings, and smells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. Brings back memories of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written. I felt my stomach drop with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful imagery. You use all the senses - marvelous ride! peace...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this short piece Jax may have to create one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, everyone! I'm so happy people like it.
    Dros, I hope to see some writing from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent story. Loved how you played with the language throughout. And what kid (or even adult) hasn't wanted to soar to the heavens after jumping from a swing at its pinnacle?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was inspiring Jax. I felt every swing with you and it was so familiar like the playful sounds and feelings from childhood. Wonderful flash piece and well written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great imagery, Jax :) Funny how being on a swing can bring back so much of childhood. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely telling of a simple event of summer. The images in the first sentence felt different and pulled me in and I liked how it slowly dawned on me what the story described. Welcome to Friday flash.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed this ride. You've encapsulated a bittersweet experience beautifully in a small space of words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What child hasn't dreamed of flying off the swing whether to become a super hero or just to fly? You really captured this moment of childhood for me. I don't know where you're from or how old you are, but in 1970's Britain, my landing was somewhat harder. In a concrete kind of way!

    ReplyDelete