Tangled Yarns

Tangled Yarns

Thursday, September 16, 2010

New routines

I have always loved the start of school. The new supplies, the change in weather, the return to familiar routines, with the promise of new discoveries. Getting the kids back on a routine has been fairly easy. But this year, I'm struggling with my own. None of my classes are at the same time, so everyday runs very differently. Hubby's schedule changes from day to day as well, which also throws me for a loop. I'm always forgetting which days he goes in late, and he often decides last minute to stay late on the days he goes in early. So I'm three weeks into the school year, and it all still feels brand new.

In addition to a full load of classes, several sewing projects, two kids, and two cats, I've added writing and blogging to the mix. And am loving it! But I'm now looking for a way to keep on task. I have a shiny new schedule/calendar, courtesy of my university, a white board that the we never use anymore (gotta get some more markers) and zero good habits about checking things once I write them down.

I don't have a cell phone, but a rarely go anywhere without my laptop, so I really ought to set up something on here. Any calendar/schedule programs that people can recommend?

7 comments:

  1. I wish I could help you out here. I am brilliant with organizing others (my kids and spouse) but when it comes to myself - I'm a disorganized disaster at the moment. Back to school always throws me for a loop, and it takes me a little while to get back on track. I'm definitely going to watch the comments, hopefully someone will have something good.

    Oh, I have a super smart smart phone, with a calendar, and somehow always forget to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What OS do you have? Windows has a calendar on it, you can add tasks and appointments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have 7 - or whatever is the OS past Vista. Thanks, Night! I'll go look at that. It would be so helpful to have something give me reminders on the computer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both Google and Yahoo have calendars and you can set them up to send you email reminders. I use Yahoo for personal stiff and the book blog uses Google.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know which programs work the best, and I've tried a few. I usually pick up some of those notebooks (spiral ring ones) from the dollar store and keep a daily journal of things to do, and label each day throughout as the days of the month. That way I can look a couple of days ahead and see what's coming up. This works for me, but everyone works differently with a calendar or reminder system. I also keep a cork board that I post appointment cards and reminder info on beside my desk for a quick glance at what's coming up. It's tough to stay organized. It's a trial and error thing I think mostly Jax. You have to find the method that works for you and your lifestyle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jax- just read your Friday Flash and enjoyed it. Thought I would read through some of your posts. Couldn't resist replying to this one because my favorite time management system is by David Allen called GTD (Getting things done). It has saved me in more ways than I can explain. I use it conjunction with a free website called doit.im which matches the GTD principles perfectly. Anyhow-nice blog! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I'm going to look into that one. I'm glad you stopped by and that you liked the fic. :D

    Pat, I love spiral notebooks, but so do my kids. Mine get filched, scribbled one, and cut up. The cork board is a good idea. My mom has one she doesn't use, so maybe I'll filch it from her house. ;)

    ReplyDelete